What is a GSA?
The acronym “GSA” means Genders/Sexualities Alliance club. It is often a lunch-time opportunity for students to gather to discuss issues and plan activities related to making their schools inclusive and welcoming to all students, with a focus on LGBTQ+ students.
Each GSA is tailored to fit the needs and structure of a particular school, therefore the GSA at any middle or high school will likely look different than GSA at other schools. For example, some GSAs are:
- safe spaces: a place on campus where students can take a break, recharge and connect with a supportive staff member and peers,
- social spaces: a meet up of students looking to connect, have fun, and build relationships with new peers,
- activist spaces: students organizing for social justice and change on their campuses. Often addressing student experiences with transphobia, homophobia, racism, sexism, cissexism, and more.
GSAs can be one or many of these spaces. Students determine the goal of their club depending on the needs of their members and school communities. Goals can be dynamic and can change school year to school year or a few times within a school year. At some schools, GSAs can also be called Rainbow Club, Ally Club, Wellness Club, Diversity Club or Queer Student Alliance.
We support the formation and success of each of our middle and high school GSAs through:
- LGBTQ Liaisons - school staff that voluneer to be trained as club advisors, help promote student leadership and work in partnership with students and LGBTQ Student Services to address needs at school sites.
- Leadership training - Student club members can participate in annual trainings included in our student conferences or request workshops on site.
- Consultation - LGBTQ Liaisons and student leaders can reach out to LGBTQ Student Stervices staff for support, coaching and parthership.
SFUSD staff: visit the Pride Portal (staff log-in required) for more information about how to become an LGBTQ Liaison.
Additional Resources for GSAs
This page was last updated on August 2, 2023