July 1, 2020
Dear SFUSD Families:
As we continue to plan for what learning will look like in the fall, we are seeking input from the entire SFUSD community, including our families. Keep reading today’s digest for opportunities to share your thoughts and questions about fall learning.
Join Us for a Virtual Town Hall Next Week
We invite you to join a town hall meeting next week hosted on SFUSD’s YouTube Live channel where we’ll discuss our process for planning for fall learning. The Department of Public Health will also join us at the town halls. You only need a device that connects to the internet to join.
There are three town halls specifically for families:
- Tuesday, July 7: 6:30 - 8:00 PM - SFUSD Cantonese Town Hall for Families
- Wednesday, July 8: 6:30 - 8:00 PM - SFUSD English Town Hall for Families*
- Thursday, July 9: 6:30 - 8:00 PM - SFUSD Spanish Town Hall for Families
*At the English Town Hall, simultaneous interpretation will be provided in Arabic, Cantonese, Filipino, Samoan, Spanish, and Vietnamese
We encourage you to share your questions in advance of the town halls by using SFUSD’s ThoughtExchange. ThoughtExchange does not capture any personal information, and does not record anyone’s voice or image. Participants simply type and send their ideas - it’s a lot like sending a text or posting a comment on social media. Then you can see the questions and ideas that other participants are sharing.
QR Code for ThoughtExchange in English:
Visit sfusd.edu/townhalls for more information.
In addition to the town halls, we have created a brief, anonymous survey for you to share your thoughts on what you want fall learning to look like.
The survey is available online here in English, Spanish, Cantonese, Tagalog, Arabic, Vietnamese, and Samoan. To change the survey to a different language, go to the dropdown menu at the top where it says "English.” Select your student's school to take the survey. We will share a summary of the findings later in July.
Food Resources Updates
Grab & Go Meal Sites Now Open Wednesdays Only
- New schedule starting next week! Grab & go meal sites will be open on Wednesdays only. We will no longer be open on Mondays. Pick up 5 days worth of food every Wednesday, 10:30-12. Visit sfusd.edu/schoolfood for locations.
Longfellow Meal Pick Up Closed Until July 15th
- Longfellow Elementary School will be closed for food distribution from July 1st until July 15th. Visit sfusd.edu/schoolfood for an updated list of locations.
Graduating or moving on from SFUSD? Return SFUSD property on Thursday, July 23
Graduating seniors and students who are leaving SFUSD and not enrolling in an SFUSD school in August 2020 must return SFUSD property before the end of summer, including borrowed technology, textbooks, and musical instruments.
Thursday, July 23 SFUSD will open a variety of school sites and central office to process returns. Locations and times will be confirmed at a later date.
SFUSD Family Resource Link available throughout the summer
- Go to familylink.sfusd.edu to complete an online request form.
- Email request to email@example.com.
- Call 415-340-1716. Phone hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9 am - 1 pm. Callers can leave a voicemail any time.
Food Resources Available All Summer
- Grab & go meals will continue to be available to all children throughout the summer. Pickup times and locations: sfusd.edu/schoolfood
- City information on where to get food resources. You may also call 311.
- Families with children eligible for free or reduced-price school meals can receive a P-EBT card with up to $365 for each eligible child to purchase groceries. Complete the online application by July 15, 2020.
Still Seeking a School Assignment? Fall 2020 School Enrollment
- The Wait Pool will run through August 12. Use one of these methods to apply today:
- Open Enrollment begins at 8:00 am on July 6, 2020. This is a first-come, first-serve process where students can enroll immediately into a school. This process is ONLY available for schools with open seats and zero Wait Pool requests. To enroll:
- Complete an online Open Enrollment Form. The form will be posted here, so please check back on July 6.
- If you cannot get online, call the Educational Placement Center at 415-241-6085 from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on July 6, 7, and 8. Staff will help you complete the form over the phone.
- Sign up If you need an enrollment counseling appointment.
Other Helpful Resources
- Guide to Summer Resources
- Resources for talking with children about race and social justice
- Frequently Asked Questions
Watch past SF Loves Learning episodes on YouTube
Talk about a productive summer activity! An Aptos Middle School student was featured on ABC7 News this week for using one of SFUSD's 3D printers to create parts for face shields and ear savers at home. Check out the story here.
Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews