MOU timelines & procedures, including COVID requirements.
Be sure to allow at least a week for us to review a proposed MOU & identify any needed revisions - before we send you the PDF for signatures.
- Before you get started: check with the appropriate SFUSD contact to clarify your services, proposed locations and other details.
- See below for detailed information about requirements and navigating the MOU process.
How does it work? See FAQs and other resources!
Before you get started: check with the appropriate SFUSD contact to clarify your services, proposed locations and other details.
- Our Step by Step Guide provides instructions, examples and screenshots that walk you through the process.
- See the Top Five Reasons MOUs Are Delayed - and some tips to avoid these issues
- See the FAQs for instructions to add or change locations on an existing / approved MOU.
- This infographic shows the process from getting started through approval by the Board of Education.
- Confirm the timeline & deadlines for submitting MOUs for Board of Education approval. Be sure to allow at least a week for your proposed MOU to be reviewed and revised as needed, before we send you the PDF ready for signatures.
COVID Vaccination Requirements & Safety Protocols for In-Person Services
COVID safety guidelines.
- Masking is now strongly recommended but not required at all district schools and work sites, including Early Education, Transitional Kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools.
- Find updated guidelines at SFUSD's Health & Safety Guidelines website.
- SFUSD continues to require all in-person service providers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; or, if they cannot receive the COVID vaccine due to disability or a sincerely held religious belief, to be tested weekly. A person is considered “fully” vaccinated two weeks after completing the initial COVID vaccine series as well as recommended boosters, consistent with SF DPH guidelines.
- See below for detailed information about these requirements, including Vaccination FAQs .
Service providers are responsible for:
- Ensuring their staff and/or volunteers have been fully vaccinated or have a waiver and are being tested (similar to the responsibility for doing criminal background checks and TB clearance).
- Reporting to the SF Department of Public Health (SF DPH) any positive cases of their volunteers and/or staff working with students
- Coordinating with the school(s) you serve regarding close contact notification.
- Knowing the names of students you are serving in each classroom or other school setting.
- Please note that procedures will continue to shift as the State of California & San Francisco Department of Public Health revise COVID guidelines based on public health conditions. Find current information at SFUSD's Health & Safety Guidelines website.
- Service providers also must comply with San Francisco DPH guidelines. SF DPH has a one-stop guide for schools, childcare programs, and programs for children and youth.
Confirm the status of an MOU
Check this list to clarify the term for an existing MOU (including when it will, or if it did, expire).
- Check the tab for MOUs in Process to see which are pending approval by the Board of Education.
- New! The list of MOUs now includes links to the online platform to view details about services, including the locations!
- Here’s how to create a user account to see online MOUs, if you don't already have a user / member account.
Requesting Student Data?
Access to confidential student information is limited by federal law. Be sure to read SFUSD's guidelines for sharing student data.
SFUSD's templates for parent/guardian consent, and for requesting student data (in multiple languages).
SFUSD template to request Directory Information for students/families.
Service providers who access student data must complete the Oath of Confidentiality (which service providers must keep on file)
Who needs a Memorandum of Understanding, or MOU?
Resources for Navigating the Process
Programs funded by the Dept. of Children, Youth & Families (DCYF)
Requirements have changed! DCYF grantees need an MOU with SFUSD only when providing services at a school site (in person) or through a school (if providing services virtually).
Read the updated FAQs with common questions for DCYF grantees.
Check out these scenarios for providing services & clarify which forms you'll need.
See the short deck: MOUs 101 for DCYF Grantees
Already have a login to the ExCEL / QAP platform in Salesforce? How to create your MOU login.
Videos to help you navigate the system
Forms you might need for programs or services at SFUSD schools.
Check this flow chart to identify other forms you might need when providing services at SFUSD schools.
Providing Food and/or Beverages to Students & Families
SFUSD prioritizes the wellbeing of our students and their families! Service providers must follow SFUSD's Wellness & Nutrition Guidelines when providing snacks, refreshments and meals. See www.sfusd.edu/bewell
Organizations providing food and/or beverages to students more than once a week as part of their programs must complete this Food Providers Application.
This page was last updated on November 22, 2022