What AVID Is...
- an acronym = Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- an in-school academic support program for grades 5-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success.
- a program that targets students in the academic middle by placing academically average students in advanced classes.
- an opportunity to level the playing field for minority, rural, low-income and other students without a college-going tradition in their families.
- implemented school-wide and districtwide.
What AVID Isn't
- a remedial program.
- a niche program.
- a college outreach program.
The AVID Student
AVID targets students in the academic middle (2.0-3.5 GPA and Basic and above SBAC scores) who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculum but are falling short of their potential. Typically, they will be the first in their families to attend college, and many are from low-income or minority families. AVID pulls these students out of their unchallenging courses and puts them on the college track: acceleration instead of remediation.
- Ms. Adcock: email@example.com AVID Teacher
- Mr. Jang: firstname.lastname@example.org APG AVID Site Coordinator
- Mr. Lie: email@example.com AVID Teacher
Apply for 2024-2025
- Applications are not yet open for 2024-2025. Applications should open in Spring 2024.
This page was last updated on October 31, 2023