Quick Resources for Sunset Families
The menu can be found at SchoolCafe.com/sfusd. Learn more at SFUSD's Nutrition & School Meals page.
Multipurpose Family Income Form
School meals are free for all students at SFUSD regardless of income provided by the California Universal Meals Program. Families may still fill out the Multipurpose Family Inform Form to see if they qualify for other benefits. Find out more on SFUSD's website here.
Parking Lot and Drop Off Safety
Please allow adequate time to find parking or when using the Stop, Drop and Go Program. We need to ensure everyone's safety in the parking lot and there have been a few close calls. Please heed these parking lot guidelines to help make the area as safe for students as possible.
"Stop, Drop & Go" Drop Off Procedures (9:15-9:30 am)
Please help the attendant(s) facilitate a smooth, safe & continuous drop-off every morning.
- Cars must ENTER on 41st Avenue/Ortega and EXIT on 40th Avenue/Ortega.
- There is no supervision for your child before 9:15 am. Please do not drop your child off at school before 9:15 am unless they are eating breakfast at 9:05 am.
- Please wait in the designated drop-off lane and allow your child to exit the car only at the main school entrance where an attendant will help them out of the car.
- DO NOT drive around the drop-off lane and drop off your child in the fire lane near the back gate.
- Make sure your child has their things ready to go to exit the car promptly when the attendant opens the door.
- For your child’s safety, children need to exit on the school side of the car.
- Parents should not exit the car.
- Once your child has exited the car and it is safe to move forward, please do so. This will help keep the line moving quickly.
Parking Lot Safety Dos and Don'ts
- Drive slowly at all times (5 mph).
- Pull forward into a parking spot.
- Park only in designated parking spots.
- Park in a parking spot when picking up your child, even if you stay in your car.
- Watch out for other cars, cyclists & pedestrians.
- DO NOT back into a parking spot.
- DO NOT park in the fire lane.
- DO NOT park in front of the main school entrance and wait.
- DO NOT drive without being aware of your surroundings.
Pedestrians & Cyclists:
- Walk or cycle around the parking lot on the sidewalk.
- Dismount and walk bicycles & scooters once you turn onto school sidewalks.
- DO NOT cross or bicycle through the parking lot.
Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
Families of Sunset PTA
The PTA, an influential nationwide organization, has state and local affiliates throughout the country. It is a powerful lobbying organization in state legislatures and in Washington, D.C., advocating on behalf of students and schools. Sunset Elementary’s PTA is part of the California State PTA which is part of the National PTA. The PTA promotes parent involvement in schools.
The main role of the local PTA is to build strong working relationships among parents, teachers and schools, in support of students. In states where schools face tough budget restrictions, the parents in the local PTA may raise funds to help support school programs. The PTA works with the principal to jointly decide which programs will most benefit the school.
Parent and community involvement are vital to our school's success, and there are many ways, big and small, that you can help! Sunset Families can join their PTA on Totem.
School Site Council (SSC)
Each SFUSD school must have an elected School Site Council (SSC) to represent parents, students, community members, and school staff in the school governance process.
The SSC has a number of important responsibilities, including:
- Reviewing and analyzing student achievement data
- Gathering community input
- Helping develop the Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) and the school site budget
- Monitoring the implementation of the plan and budget
English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Each California public school from kindergarten through grade 12, with 21 or more English learners must form a functional English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). The ELAC is a committee for parents or other community members who advocate for Multilingual Learners/English Learners.
School administration uses ParentVue (also called The Family Portal) for official communication with parents. It is important that all parents and guardians have a ParentVue account to receive Information about grades, test scores and emergencies.
Activate your account (English | Español | 中文), and update your contact information. If you need an activation code, seek help via bit.ly/familyportalhelp. Be sure to update ParentVue if your contact information changes.
Sunset uses a second communications platform, ParentSquare for volunteer coordination, planning, and communication among families and teachers. The PTA also uses it to keep parents up to date about what's happening at school.
In the first weeks of school, families will receive an invitation to sign up for ParentSquare. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Sunset Elementary School Community Calendar
This page was last updated on May 25, 2022