Tina Cheuk from the Understanding Language department at Stanford University has created a very useful graphic organizer to show that the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematics, English Language Arts, and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) have significant overlap and can be collectively implemented for students’ benefit.
ELA, Social Studies, and Tech Subjects
- Demonstrate independence.
- Build strong content knowledge.
- Respond to the varying demands of audience, task, purpose, and discipline.
- Comprehend as well as critique.
- Value evidence.
- Use technology and digital media strategically and capably.
- Understand other perspectives and cultures.
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.)
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.)
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.)
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.)
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
This page was last updated on June 21, 2023