Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the breakdown of the student population (approximately)?
- 44% Latino
- 2% African-American
- 13% Asian
- 41% Other
- General Education
- Spanish Biliteracy
- Filipino Foreign Language in Elementary School (FLES)
Recess and lunch
What is lunch like? Do the children eat together?
- All students at Longfellow receive free breakfast and lunch
- Students have staggered lunch times, separated by grade level
- We want to create a healthy food atmosphere and encourage healthy eating; families are asked not to include prepackaged foods (such as “Lunchables”), chips and sodas
How many recesses will my child get a day? Two
Do the kids in different grades play together in the yard?
- Play areas are split up by time and location by grade level (for example, fifth graders aren’t playing in the same space as the kindergarteners)
How often do the students visit the library?
- Every other week with their classroom
What is the school doing to ensure there is a good relationship between families?
- We encourage parents/guardians to be involved in the school community. Opportunities include, helping in the classroom, field trips, attending parent groups or committees (PTA, SSC ELAC) and working and volunteering at school fundraisers and events. We provide parents with school news and information on school events and workshops through our school website and Class Dojo so that all families are welcome at Longfellow and are able to participate in our community without barriers.
- All literature sent to parents is in multiple site specific languages
- Translation is provided at school meetings
Please go to our page about the After-school programs for more information
How do I enter Longfellow?
- If you drive here, you will drop off on Lowell Street in front of the gate. Please do not not park on the opposite side of Lowell St. and let your children cross the street. Also, please do not park in the white zone.
- The white zone on Morse Street is the designated school bus drop off. Please DO NOT PARK IN WHITE ZONE. Your vehicle may be cited by SFMTA.
- If you walk, you may enter school on Morse Street or at the Lowell St. gate.