Welcome to the History / Social Studies Department
Here is what students will experience and discover in our classes:
Students will have the opportunity to critically examine current issues facing the U.S. and the world around us.
Since it is impossible to understand the present without studying the past, we explore the historical background of current issues to better grasp the complexity of our own time.
Students will delve deeply into both the history of social movements for change and present-day issues affecting all of our lives. We will examine how race, ethnicity, class, immigration status and gender impact social institutions, policies, and individual experiences.
Students will be encouraged to connect their own lives with broader questions facing society – and asked to bring their own thoughts and experiences into the classroom.
Our courses will challenge and prepare students to engage with college-level reading materials, to develop research skills and methodology, and opportunities to advance as expository writers. They will learn to critically analyze media, distinguishing fact from opinion and uncovering bias.
And there will be plenty of opportunities for debate, discussion and dialogue.
History Courses offered at Mission High
- Ethnic Studies
Modern World History
- U.S. History
- U.S. History Honors
- U.S. History Newcomer Program and Leadership Class
- Peer Resources Critical Thinking and Social Change (CTE Educator Pathway)
- American Democracy/Economics
- American Democracy/Economics Honors
- Agriculture American Democracy/Ag Economics (CTE Urban AF Pathway)
- Ethnic Studies Honors Step To College
- Peer Resources Teaching for Diversity (CTE Educator Pathway)