Three Health Requirements for School
Health requirements for school entry (for students new to the district): up to date required immunizations, tuberculosis (TB) clearance, physicals School Health and Oral Health Forms
Health requirements for attending school (for all students): up to date immunizations School Health Form 2021/22
Health documents for health services: care plans, medical orders, and medication orders Medication Forms Emergency Care Plans
Health Documents should be uploaded to the Online Application on ParentVue.
What are the Health Requirements for School Entry?
All students new to SFUSD
- Tuberculosis (TB) clearance within one year of entering SFUSD
- Required immunizations (shots or vaccinations). Students must have at least one dose of every required vaccine and no deadline for any missing dose has passed.
- Physical examination for any TK, kindergartener or new first grader. This documentation should be submitted any time during the kinder year or before first grade. The date of the physical examination should be no earlier than 6 months before the start of the kinder year. A virtual visit with a physician counts as long as the physician is able to complete the health form based on the virtual visit. School Health and Oral Health Forms
What are the Health Requirements for Attending School?
All students, all grade levels
All students must be up to date on all immunizations required for school. See tables below for the required immunizations for various grade levels. Personal belief or religious exemptions are no longer accepted. Valid medical exemptions are acceptable (see link for more information).
What are the Health Requirements for Medical Services?
Any student who needs medical services at school
In order for medical services to be provided, the school must have current orders for the needed procedures or medication signed by an eligible California healthcare provider. See the links below for templates that should be taken to your child’s provider to complete. The parent/guardian must also sign before submitting to the school.
Immunization Requirements by Grade
Child Care / PreK
Immunization requirements differ depending on the age of the child when enrolling for child care.
- 2-3 months: 1 DTaP, 1 Polio, 1 Hep B, 1 Hib
- 4-5 months: 2 DTaP, 2 Polio, 2 Hep B, 2 Hib
- 6-14 months: 3 DTaP, 2 Polio, 2 Hep B, 2 Hib
- 15-17 months: 3 DTaP, 3 Polio, 2 Hep B, 1 MMR (on or after 1st birthday), 1 Hib (on or after 1st birthday)
- 18 months-4 years: 4 DTaP, 3 Polio, 3 Hep B, 1 MMR (on or after 1st birthday), 1 Hib (on or after 1st birthday- only required for children less than 4 years, 6 months ), 1 Varicella (chickenpox)
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) — 5 doses (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday)
- Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Hepatitis B — 3 doses (not required for 7th grade entry)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses (first dose given on or after 1st birthday)
- Varicella (chickenpox) — 2 doses
Students entering 7-12 grade
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose
- Varicella (chickenpox) — 2 doses
- Please note that the TK-12 immunization requirements apply to 7th graders who previously had a valid personal beliefs exemption (PBE) filed in California before 2016. Pre-existing PBEs expire upon entering 7th grade and, therefore, the student is required to meet the TK-12 requirements.
- SF Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP)/"Gateway")
- Eligibility criteria: families with children and youth (ages 0-18yrs) who are uninsured (or underinsured) and low to moderate income
- Can obtain temporary full-scope, no-cost Medi-Cal benefits at the time of service
- Call to make an appointment: (415) 575-5700 for English, (415) 575-5704 for Spanish, and (415) 558-4036 for Chinese/other languages using interpreter services
- Flyer: English | Spanish | Chinese | Arabic |Russian |Tagalog | Vietnamese
- Teen Clinics for Primary Care and Immunizations (for students 12 years old and older)
- SF Health Network New Patient Intake Line (Public or low cost clinics): Call to make an appointment (415) 682-1740
- California School Immunization Record (CSIR/Blue Card-BC/CDPH 286, 1/19)
- Updated Forms, Guides and Material - Shots For Schools Website
- Guide to Immunization Requirements for TK/K-12 | Spanish
- Guide to Immunization Requirements for PreK
- School Health Form 2021/22
- FAQs About New 2019 Regulations, Immunizations, and Conditional Entry
- Exemptions FAQ
- Oral Health Assessment Form
- Preparticipation Physical Evaluation Form including History Form in English & Spanish