What are the health requirements to enroll in school?
All students entering SFUSD
All students should get tuberculosis (TB) clearance (negative TB skin or blood test, negative chest x-ray, or signature of health examiner attesting to no risk factors for TB) within one year of entering SFUSD or signature of health examiner attesting to no risk factors for TB.
According to the California School Immunization Law, children must have their required immunizations (shots) before they can attend school. Immunization requirements apply to all new students in SFUSD. In order to start school, the student must have at least one dose of every required vaccine and no deadline for any missing dose has passed.
Children entering child care
Immunization requirements differ depending on the age of the child when enrolling for child care.
- 2-3 months: 1 DTaP, 1 Polio, 1 Hep B, 1 Hib
- 4-5 months: 2 DTaP, 2 Polio, 2 Hep B, 2 Hib
- 6-14 months: 3 DTaP, 2 Polio, 2 Hep B, 2 Hib
- 15-17 months: 3 DTaP, 3 Polio, 2 Hep B, 1 MMR (on or after 1st birthday), 1 Hib (on or after 1st birthday)
- 18 months-4 years: 4 DTaP, 3 Polio, 3 Hep B, 1 MMR (on or after 1st birthday), 1 Hib (on or after 1st birthday- only required for children less than 4 years, 6 months ), 1 Varicella
Starting July 1, 2019, new TK-12 students entering SFUSD need:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) — 5 doses (4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday. 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday.)
- Polio (OPV or IPV) — 4 doses (3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday)
- Hepatitis B — 3 doses (not required for 7th grade entry)
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) — 2 doses (both given on or after 1st birthday)
- Varicella (chickenpox) — 2 doses
Children entering 7-12 grade
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) —1 dose
- Varicella (chickenpox) — 2 doses.
- Please note that the TK/K-12 immunization requirements apply to 7th graders who:
- previously had a valid personal beliefs exemption (PBE) filed before 2016. Pre-existing PBEs expire upon entering 7th grade and, therefore, the student is required to meet the TK/K-12 requirements.
Policy for Tuberculosis Screening Requirement at Preschool and TK/K-12 Entry - Updated 1 March 2019.
- Download the updated TB screening policy
- California School Immunization Record (CSIR/Blue Card-BC/CDPH 286, 1/19)
- Updated Forms, Guides and Material - Shots For Schools Website
- Guide to Immunization Requirements for TK/K-12 | Spanish
- School Health Form 2019/2020
- FAQs About New 2019 Regulations, Immunizations, and Conditional Entry
- Exemptions FAQ
For more information, contact the Nurse of the Day at School Health Programs at 415-242-2615.