San Francisco, A Sanctuary City
California, San Francisco, and SFUSD are and will always be sanctuaries committed to standing up for immigrant communities. We want all of our students, caregivers, and staff to be prepared and know their rights.
The City’s Office of Civic Engagement and Immigrant Affairs at 415-581-2360, or online at https://immigrants.sfgov.org/, continues to offer support and resources.
If you are concerned about possible interactions with immigration officials, please consult with an attorney. Legal Service Providers:
- San Francisco Immigrant Legal and Education Network includes community based legal services.
- San Francisco specific online immigration portal provides information and access to legal resources.
- National Online Tool can help you determine if you qualify for immigration relief.
Know Your Rights and Family Emergency Toolkit
The San Francisco Immigrant Legal and Education Network website offers resources regarding constitutional rights and engaging with law enforcement as well as support for families in creating a plan in case of detention and/or deportation.
Rapid Response Network
Many counties in the Bay Area, including San Francisco, have 24 hour multilingual hotlines to investigate possible activities by immigration officials in the community and to support you through any interaction with immigration. These Rapid Response Networks will send out a team of legal advocates to a location to offer legal advocacy.
- If you suspect or see ICE officials in your neighborhood or at your home, please call your area’s rapid response hotline.
- If you, a friend, or family member is arrested, please call the rapid response hotline.
- The San Francisco Rapid Response hotline - (415) 200-1548; here are steps to consider when calling.
SFUSD Refugee and Immigrant Supports in Education (RISE-SF)
Newly arrived refugee and immigrant English Language Learners have particular educational strengths and challenges that necessitate specific supports and programming. RISE-SF supports schools in implementing promising practices for this community.
As a sanctuary school district, SFUSD upholds every young person’s constitutional right to feel safe and supported in school. RISE-SF supports schools in ensuring their communities are aware of their rights and prepared to defend them.
- District Coordinator: Angelina Romano, MSW/PPS | RomanoA@sfusd.edu | 415.890.5324
- Newcomer Services Coordinator: Susana Rivero | RiveroS@sfusd.edu | 415.919.8184