Join the SFUSD substitute pool
Becoming a substitute is an easy way to experience the joys of teaching while also contributing to our school communities. Substitute teaching can be remarkably rewarding and worthwhile especially for those who have recently retired, are experiencing transitions, or are considering a career in teaching. Substitutes have control over the assignments they pick up, the range and variety of their teaching assignments, and can increase the chances of landing a full-time teaching career in SFUSD.
Eligibility for getting hired as a substitute
In light of the approval of SB 1397, starting January 1st, 2023, through January 1st, 2024, the basic skills requirement is waived for 30 Day Sub permits. In addition to this requirement, any substitute permits issued during this time would not need to meet the basic skills requirement permanently. The following are required:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution
- Negative TB test administered within 60 days of hire
- Clearance of fingerprint background check
- Be available for assignments at least once a week, particularly on Mondays and Fridays
- Be flexible and willing to work all SFUSD schools, particularly at our High Potential Schools
- Work at least 12 days during the first semester, at least one day per week, or a minimum of 36 days by the end of the school year
Prior to January 1, 2023 the following Basic Skills Requirements are needed:
TK-12 Day to Day Substitute: More information about obtaining the necessary substitute permit can be found here, and more info about the qualifications for the Basic Skills Requirement can be found here.
Early Education Para and/or Teacher Substitutes:
EED (Pre-k and Out of School Time) Program:
EED Paraprofessional Substitutes:
This page was last updated on September 24, 2023