Become an SFUSD paraeducator
At SFUSD, we offer engaging and challenging programs, caring and committed staff, strong and visible leaders, and differentiated instruction to meet each child’s needs. Our paraeducators are the instructional aides, student & family resource personnel, security aides, and other staffing personnel who are integral parts of the district’s effort to ensure that every student who enrolls in our schools graduate ready for college, career, and life. We review paraeducator applications on an ongoing basis, and will contact you if your skills and experience are a match for any open position.
Eligibility information for getting hired as a paraeducator
K-12 Special Education Instructional Aide or Substitute:
Child Development Program Instructional Aide or Substitute:
*Roles not listed above will have position-specific minimum requirements.
SFUSD supports paraeducators in becoming credentialed teachers!
Who is eligible to participate?
- Current SFUSD paraeducator/classified staff working with PreK-12 students; if not currently employed in SFUSD, participant must apply for a classified SFUSD paraprofessional educator role.
- Credential goal must be in teaching in a hard to staff area: Special Education, Math, Science or Bilingual Education.
- Must have 60 transferable units from an accredited college and/or junior level in college.
- Must commit to working in SFUSD for four years after receiving preliminary credential
What are the program elements for the candidates?
- Advisement and counseling about enrolling in local universities, financial aid and career goals
- Reimbursement of some college tuition, textbooks, fees and supplies
- Support to pass CBEST, CSET and RICA tests
- Participation in a cohort of like minded and similar career stage aspiring teachers
- Access to veteran teachers and high-quality teacher preparation professional development
Get in touch
This page was last updated on September 24, 2023