Press Release Details
Press Release Message
San Francisco (September 12, 2023) - The San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) will share recommendations for how the district will support the Parent Advisory Council (PAC) and family partnerships at the Sept. 12, 2023 SF Board of Education regular meeting.
“As a school district we must continuously build a solid understanding of our very diverse cultures, and engaging with families is critical to this effort,” SFUSD Superintendent Dr. Matt Wayne said. “SFUSD remains committed to supporting family engagement and uplifting the voices of families.”
At its May 9, 2023 Board meeting, the Board of Education approved a motion to table the Parent Advisory Council (PAC) Membership Nominations, requesting that the Superintendent request an independent review of SFUSD’s parent and family engagement policies from the California Department of Education (CDE) and provide an overview of the Superintendent’s recommendations for discussion by the Board prior to implementing the recommendations on how the district will support the PAC and family partnerships.
At the Sept. 12, 2023 Board meeting, SFUSD will share the following recommendations for how the district will support the Parent Advisory Council and advisory committees:
- Transition the Parent Advisory Council to the Local Control Plan (LCAP) Parent Advisory Committee (per California Ed Code 52063) to ensure the District is working in partnership with families toward our vision, values, goals, and guardrails.
- Standardize operating norms for all district wide parent advisory councils/committees to align with promising practices for family partnership and meet state and federal requirements.
- Establish pending parent advisory committees with corresponding district staff support that comports to the standardized operating norms.
- Latinx Parent Advisory Committee per resolution No. 199-24A3 and assign support staff in accordance with the standardized operating norms.
- QT Parent Advisory Committee per resolution No. 2111-9A1 and assign support staff in accordance with the standardized operating norms.
- A parent advisory committee for Asian American families that will comport to the final standardize operating norms.