The 10th grade of the Green Academy is focused on learning the fundamentals of sustainability and how they affect the world we live in. The courses in the 10th grade are:
- English "with a Green focus" with Ms. Gratch
- Physics with Mr. Calac
- Environmental Service Learning & Technology with Ms. Ziegler
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE LEARNING
The 10th grade elective course is based on the Environmental Charter High School in LA's Green Ambassadors Program. This "hands-on" class revolves around 5 units:
- Get Connected
- Reuse, Rethink, Recycle
- Encounter Water
- Eat Green
- Nothing Wasted
This class features monthly field trips and twice monthly work in the school garden.
WHY SERVICE LEARNING?
- Creates critical thinkers and problem solvers; researchers & communicators
- Strengthens students’ personal and social skills
- Allows students to explore and build varied interests and skills
- Strengthens relationships between students, the school and the community
- Its REAL!
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2014-2015 ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE LEARNING COURSE
1. 6 week cooking class with 18 Reasons. The final class featured an Iron Chef Cook Off!
2. Habitat Restoration & Water Testing at Pine Lake
3. Paddle boarding & Kayaking
4. School garden planting & maintenance
5. National Parks Habitat Restoration
6. Farmers Market
This page was last updated on September 23, 2019