Steps for your Senior Year
Rising Senior Summer
- Enjoy your summer.
- Take SAT/ACT if you haven't already.
- Recharge and relax. This summer is your last in high school.
- What makes you smile?
- What are your worries?
- What do you think about when you wake up/go to sleep?
- What's your comfort food?
- Who are your role models?
- If you are applying to private schools, make a Common/Coalition App
account and start it filling out.
- Update resume, visit colleges, sign up for college newsletters for places
you want to attend.
- Hang out with your friends, do a personal project
- Look at the personal insight questions for UCs and brainstorm.
- Finish college visits and your college list.
- Safeties, targets, and reaches.
- Go to college fairs/presentations at school (sometimes in the library
during homeroom, lunchtime outside).
- KNOW your Early Action/Early Decision Deadlines
- Early Action: Applying early to a school, receiving your decision earlier.
- Early Decision: Applying early to a school and agreeing to go if accepted.
- Fill out and complete the FAFSA/CSS Profile.
- If needed, fill out a Senior Profile for a letter of recommendations
- Meet with your counselor if you have any questions.
- Start writing essays.
- Try to prioritize earlier deadlines.
- Help with the Application.
- CSU and UC apps are due on Nov 30th.
- Wrap up any remaining applications.
- Double, triple, quadruple check that all your information is correct
and that you're not missing anything.
- AVOID SENIORITIS.
- Keep taking care of your grades and earning a C or above to ensure
your acceptance isn't rescinded (you still need to graduate!).
- Take care of yourself physically and mentally – this was a stressful
process, but you made it through.
- Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best. You no longer have control.
- Practice gratitude – What are the good things? What will you miss when you leave? Who will you miss?
- Check your email every day.
- Enjoy your last few months.
A big thank you to Audrey Mac, Aaliyah Bernal, Maleeha Iftekar,
Violet Acosta, and Violet Lollar from Ms. Lancaster’s Social Change
class for making this timeline!
This page was last updated on December 15, 2021