Phase 2 - Hybrid Model
SFUSD has begun the fall semester with distance learning and is preparing to move into a hybrid model for small groups of priority students once science and data suggest it is safe to do so.
In order for SFUSD to reopen school buildings for in-person instruction, the City needs to meet certain public health indicators. In addition, SFUSD’s Superintendent Dr. Vincent Matthews outlined several factors that will need to be in place, including an adequate testing plan, staff training, students and families informed of protocols, a minimum of three months of PPE for all participating staff and students, and labor agreements.
Once all of these factors are in place, SFUSD will submit an application to the City to reopen for priority student populations.
As part of its preparations, SFUSD is developing health and safety protocols for in-person learning which include:
- Screening students each morning
- Designating an “isolation area” for anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
- Creating protocols to limit the sharing of objects and supplies
- Offering school meals in smaller, controlled settings
- Posting signage promoting safe practices
- Cleaning and disinfecting all high-touch surfaces daily
- Arranging classroom furniture to allow for 6 foot social distancing
- Minimizing non-essential visitors and volunteers to school sites
- Requiring face coverings to be worn indoors at all times for students 3rd -12th grades
- Providing employees whose job duties may require additional personal protective equipment
- Training employees and students on hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Conducting daily health questionnaires for staff to affirm they are not experiencing COVID-19 symptoms prior to entering a building or office space
In addition to providing updates to the Board of Education at public meetings and on its website, SFUSD regularly meets with community groups, parent committees, the Department of Public Health and other City officials as well as employee representatives to share proposals and gather feedback.