Frequently Asked Questions

Round 2

In this section, you will find some of the most frequently asked questions related to our Round 2 of assignments. 

What is Round 2?

Round 2 is the assignment process for families who missed submitting the application for the Main Round. It is also available for families who participated in the Main Round of assignment to try again for a more preferable school. 

  • The deadline to submit is May 7, 2021.
  • Notification of assignment results will be available during the week of June 7, 2021
  • Accept or decline the assignment by June 18, 2021

How do I view my school assignment? How do I accept /decline my assignment?

If I can’t use ParentVUE to accept my assignment, what are my options?

  • Fill out the response form mailed with your letter and return it to SFUSD by email/mail- this is strongly preferred so that we can track your response.
  • Contact the assigned school directly
  • Call the Education Placement Center EPC (415) 241-6085

For in-person support, reach out to one of our partner nonprofits for help accepting the assignment by phone or in-person: Parents for Public Schools (, Children’s Council (, Mission Graduates (, or Mission Neighborhood Centers (

What if I didn't receive a letter in the mail?

  • Your ParentVUE account has your student’s assignment letter uploaded in the “Documents” tab. For help accessing your ParentVUE account, call 415-340-1716 or email

What are my options if I want to try to get a different school assignment?

  • We strongly recommend you accept your school assignment to secure your seat and then apply for the Wait Pool. 
  • If you participated in the Main Round assignment process and have now received a new school assignment during Round 2. Your Round 2 assignment has already replaced your initial school assignment from the Main Round even if you accepted the school. Please be sure to accept this Round 2 assignment by the June 18, 2021 deadline, or you will have no school assignment.
  • If you would like to change your Round 2 assignment, you can submit a Wait Pool request and wait for one school. Please refer to the Wait Pool page for more information.
  • Open Enrollment is also available starting July 19, 2021, it is a first-come, first-serve process where you can be immediately assigned to a school with openings AND no pending Wait Pool requests.
    • If you are satisfied with the school assignment that you accepted either in the Main Round or Round 2, you do not need to participate in Open Enrollment if you have already submitted your Wait Pool request.

What if I want to decline my assignment after June 18th?

  • You can decline until the first day of school using ParentVUE or by calling the Education Placement Center (415) 241-6085 or email

After June 18th, you may only decline your assignment - you will not be able to accept your Round 2 assignment anymore.

I also applied for a private or charter school too. What should I do?

We recommend that you accept your SFUSD assignment first, and then contact the Private and/or the Charter School. If you change your mind, you can decline your SFUSD assignment on ParentVUE or by email at

When will my child’s Transitional IEP take place?

Families can refer to their child’s current Case Manager to see when the meeting will take place and see: SpEd Services

When will I receive the school assignment for my inter-district student?

Your inter-district application will be processed in late of June. You will receive a school assignment letter in the mail.

How does the school assignment process work?

Full Version (8 min): English | Español | 中文 | Tiếng Việt | Tagalog | العربي

How do I access ParentVUE?

  • ParentVUE can be accessed through this link. You can read more about ParentVUE here.
  • Help Videos: HERE
  • For help accessing your ParentVUE account, call 415-340-1716 or email

Where do I apply for school meals?

 Please visit this resource website: school meals

Does the school assignment I received include Before/After-School Program services?

No. The SFUSD school assignment doesn’t include Before/After-School Program Services. Please contact the school directly to sign up for Before/After-School Program.

How do I apply for bus/transportation Services?

Here is where you can find resources on transportation services

What are the Immunization Requirements? Is there a health form I should provide to the school?

Health/Immunization requirements for SFUSD

You should have this School Health Form filled out by your child's paediatrician and submit it to the assigned school before the year starts.

What if my questions are not included in this FAQ? Where can I contact to get help?

  • For other information please visit:
  • Call (415) 241-6085 
  • Email for support. 

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please schedule a 1:1 appointment (choose the Hard of Hearing option), and put in the notes that you would like a Zoom call if you use captions or lipreading to communicate.

ParentVUE (Family Portal) 

In this section, you will find frequently asked questions that relate to the Parentvue portal

How do I know my school assignment was accepted in ParentVUE?

  • First, follow the steps on how to register in ParentVUE at  
  • After accepting or declining your assignment, you can click on “Status” to see if it was submitted. 
  • You can also check at any time by logging in to ParentVUE > Online Forms and clicking “Review”.

Will families receive a confirmation email?

Yes, you will receive a confirmation email as soon as you accept or decline your assignment.


In this section, you will find frequently asked questions relating to appeals

How do I submit a Family Hardship and Medical Appeal?

We are currently accepting appeals for Round 2 placement, which are due May 7. You must also submit a Round 2 application.

Please call (415) 241-6085, or email, or refer to our website for more information on Round 2 Placement Appeals:

Charter Schools

In this section, you will find the most frequently asked questions relating to Charter Schools. 

Should families contact charter schools directly or can they enroll online as well?

Families should contact charter schools directly and/or visit their individual school websites. The process for SFUSD schools and charter schools is separate.

When will you be "matching" student IDs with the charter schools?

Typically the charter schools begin sending us their enrollment information in late Spring. Some schools have a good sense of their final roster in April/May, but others are still accepting students when school starts in the Fall. Students that have accepted enrollment at the charter school have

General Enrollment

In this section, you will find some of the most frequently asked questions regarding COVID-19 impact on student enrollment, including EPC services; submitting forms to EPC.

Is the Educational Placement Center Open?

We are closed to the public for in-person assistance. However, we are providing virtual (phone, email) support to families from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

To contact us, please visit our Contact Us page.

I am new to SFUSD. How do I enroll my child for school?

  • Families can apply for schools using our Online Forms Portal. You can also call 415-241-6085 or set up an appointment with a counselor online. Our team will guide you through the process.
  • If you need a paper application, our office is closed to in-person services, but you download the form from our Applications and Forms page.

How do I submit my forms to the Educational Placement Center?

All in-person services are suspended at the Educational Placement Center. However, families can continue to submit forms to the EPC by email or postal mail. Examples of forms to submit are:

  • Enrollment Application
  • Interdistrict Permit Request
  • Change of Address
  • Affidavit of Residence and Birthdate

You can see more forms and how to submit them on our Applications and Forms page.

Should I mail my forms using certified mail or signature confirmation?

SFUSD is not requiring that families mail in forms via these options. However, if a family would like to do so to confirm delivery and receipt, that is the family’s choice.

Can you provide a pre-stamped envelope for mailing my forms?

No. Families are responsible for mailing and covering postage. 

How do I change my address, phone number, name, or other information?

You can change your:

  • Home Address, 
  • Student Name or Parent/Guardian Name, 
  • Race/Ethnicity, or
  • Phone Numbers

by completing this online Change of Information Form. You can also download the form from our Applications and Forms page and mail it with required proof. Any changes made to your address requires proof. Please see here for a list of acceptable proofs of home address.

Can SFUSD defer my school assignment or hold my seat for next year because of the pandemic?

  • No. If a family decides to withdraw their student, their seat will become open for School Year 2021-22.
  • SFUSD will not hold a family’s seat for School Year 2021-22, whether it is for the same grade (e.g., incoming K who wants to stay in PK), or if it is for the next grade (e.g., homeschooling or private for 1 year). 
  • If families choose to not have their child participate in SFUSD distance learning this fall, the school district will not be able to hold their child’s school placement.

How do I update my contact information in Family Portal (ParentVUE)?

Updating your contact information in Family Portal (ParentVUE) ensures that you get school phone, email and text notifications; it's also a way to view, accept, and decline your school assignment. 

Please see this page on how to update your information in Family Portal (ParentVUE).

You can also watch a video on how to update your information. The videos is available in EnglishEspanol中文.

If you need more help, call us at 415-241-6085 or email