Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 Modernization
Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 (BVHM) is a Mission District K-8 dual-language Spanish Immersion Community School. This project is a modernization of an existing 100-year-old school campus located in the heart of the Mission. The highly anticipated and much needed improvements will support students and staff in their innovative work, and will utilize strong stakeholder engagement and community process.
In the spring of 2022, the District worked with a local community engagement consultant to connect with BVHM stakeholders about the upcoming modernization.
Events and Surveys
Over 200 staff, students, families, and community members shared feedback at more than 20 events and in a bilingual survey
Students in grades K-8 participated in hands-on design activities to bring to life their hopes and dreams for the school
Staff met to discuss concerns and identify educator needs and hopes
Families and community members had multiple opportunities to share their stories and give feedback through bilingual activities, group conversations, surveys, and more
The BVHM community’s values and feedback are deeply informing the project design.
BVHM Preliminary Project Schedule
Architect: Meek, Noll +Tam JV Architects
Construction Manager: TBD
General Contractor: TBD
Project Costs (Construction): TBD
Modernization Project Updates
Click the links below for the latest update on the progress of this project.
Small Projects Updates
Ceiling tile replacement and window grill removal
North Courtyard Play Yard painting project
- Main (academic) building electrical assessment: tested each classroom outlet for grounding issues, replaced damaged outlets, resolved grounding issues, added missing cover plates. Inspected all electrical panels in the building
- Pipe insulation in room 151
- Installed new phones in room 120 (art classroom)
- Fixed phone in classroom 109
- New AC unit installed in the computer lab
- Academic building structural exploratory work for the modernization project
Current projects in the works:
- Public Address System upgrades to provide speakers inside all classrooms
Construction Progress Photos
This page was last updated on September 26, 2022