About New-to-SF Enrollment
Families who are new to San Francisco or who have never applied for an SFUSD school may participate in New-to-SF Enrollment. This enrollment period runs from July 6 through September 3.
How to participate in New-to-SF Enrollment:
- Interested families can sign up online and be placed in a queue starting July 6. Counselors will call families back in their order in the online queue. We will post more details here closer to July 6, but you can call 415-241-6085 (9 am to 4:30 pm) with questions in the meantime.
- After you sign up, a counselor will call you back within 2 business days to help you to review which schools have openings and then enroll you in an open space. All calls will be made in the order the request was received.
What is New-to-SF Enrollment?
New-to-SF Enrollment is a first-come, first-serve process where students who are new to San Francisco and/or have never applied for an SFUSD school can enroll immediately into a school.
This enrollment period just for new families is new this year, and is meant to give new families equitable access to school assignments.
When does it begin and how do I participate?
New-to-SF Enrollment starts at 8:00 a.m. on July 6, 2021 and continues through September 3. Due to COVID-19, our office will not be open for in-person visits.
To participate, parents/guardians fill out an online form with their contact information. When the form is submitted, it will be labeled with the date and time of submission (timestamped). Enrollment counselors will then call back parents in order of their timestamps to enroll their child for school.
What schools will be available during New-to-SF Enrollment? How do I find out?
We will post available openings here closer to July 6.
Call 415-241-6085 to discuss real-time information on available school openings with a counselor.
How do I fill out the online form?
The New-to-SF Enrollment online form will be posted on this page starting at 8:00 a.m. on July 6, 2021. This form that can be completed using a computer, smartphone, or tablet.
If you cannot access the online form, get help by calling the EPC at 415-241-6085 from 8:00 am until 4:30 pm on July 6, 7, and 8. Staff will help you complete the form over the phone.
- Our staff will not provide enrollment counseling over the phone during these calls. These calls are only for helping to complete the online form.
- All form completed will receive a timestamp, whether completed online or by phone.
- Counselors will call back all families in the order of their timestamps.
When will counselors call me back?
We will call you back in the order of your timestamp within 2 business days.
What documents do I need to submit?
- Yes, since you have not applied to an SFUSD school in the Main Round or Round 2, we will need documents from you. You will have the opportunity to submit them after you complete your online form.
- Families who are unable to submit documents online can ask an EPC counselor for help when the counselor calls you.
- The documents required are: Parent/Guardian Photo ID, Student Proof of Birth (Birth Certificate or Hospital Record), Proof of Home Address (see acceptable documents here: sfusd.edu/schools/enroll/apply/required-documents)
If I get a school during New-to-SF Enrollment, but want to change it later, can I?
- Yes, if you have another assignment received during New-to-SF enrollment, you may participate in Open Enrollment or submit a Wait Pool Request.
- You will keep your New-to-SF assignment, unless you receive another assignment through Open Enrollment or the Wait Pool assignment run.