About New-to-San Francisco Enrollment
New-to-San Francisco Enrollment Sign-up Form
This form is now closed. If you need a school, please call us at 415-241-6085 from Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm.
What is New-to-San Francisco Enrollment?
New-to-San Francisco (or New-to-SF) Enrollment is a first-come, first-served process where students who have never applied for an SFUSD school for school year 2021-22 can enroll immediately into a school.
This enrollment period is new this year, and is meant to give new families equitable access to school assignments.
Families who have not applied for an SFUSD school for school year 2021-22 may participate in New-to-SF Enrollment. This enrollment period runs from July 6 through September 3.
How to participate in New-to-SF Enrollment?
- Interested families can sign up online and be placed in an online queue starting July 6. Enrollment counselors will call families back in their order on the online queue.
- After you sign up for the queue, an enrollment counselor will call you back within 2 business days to help you to review which schools have openings and then enroll you in an open space. All calls will be made in the order the sign up was received.
Who can participate in New-to-SF Enrollment?
You may participate in New-to-SF Enrollment if you have never applied for an SFUSD school for 2021-22. This could mean:
- You are a current SFUSD student but have not applied for Main Round or Round 2.
- You are a San Francisco resident interested in enrolling into a SFUSD school and have not applied for the Main Round or Round 2.
If you have already applied for Main Round and/or Round 2 for 2021-22 and you need a school, please participate in Open Enrollment instead, which begins on July 19.
When does it begin and how do I participate?
New-to-SF Enrollment starts at 8:00 a.m. on July 6, 2021 and continues through September 3. Due to COVID-19, our office will not be open for in-person visits.
To participate, parents/guardians fill out an online form with their contact information. When the form is submitted, it will be labeled with the date and time of submission (timestamped). Enrollment counselors will then call back parents in order of their timestamps to enroll their child for school.
What schools will be available during New-to-SF Enrollment? How do I find out?
Note: Schools/grades/programs that are not on the Wait Pool List may be available during New-to-SF Enrollment. We will update this list weekly.
How do I fill out the online form?
The New-to-SF Enrollment online form will be posted on this page starting at 8:00 a.m. on July 6, 2021. This form that can be completed using a computer, smartphone, or tablet.
If you cannot access the online form, call us at 415-241-6085 on July 6, 7, and 8 between 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and our staff will help you complete the form over the phone.
- Our staff will not provide enrollment counseling over the phone during these calls. These calls are only for helping to complete the online form.
- All forms completed will receive a timestamp, whether completed online or by phone.
- Counselors will call back all families in the order of their timestamps.
When will I get a call back?
We will call you back in the order of your timestamp within 2 business days.
Will I need to submit documents?
- Yes, since you have not applied to an SFUSD school in the Main Round or Round 2, we will need documents from you. You will have the opportunity to submit them after you complete your online form.
- Families who are unable to submit documents online can ask an enrollment counselor for help when the counselor calls you.
- The documents required are: Parent/Guardian Photo ID, Student Proof of Birth (Birth Certificate or Hospital Record), Proof of Home Address (see acceptable documents here: sfusd.edu/schools/enroll/apply/required-documents)
If I get a school during New-to-SF Enrollment, but want to change it later, can I?
- Yes, if you receive a school during New-to-SF Enrollment, you may also submit a Wait Pool Request.
- You will keep your New-to-SF Enrollment school, unless you receive another school through the Wait Pool assignment run.