Construction Cam - Live Feed
January 2023: The future home of Mission Bay School is kicking off the new year with sitework! Construction crews demolished and hauled off 150 truckloads of asphalt and removed all underground utilities. Next steps include installing wick drains and piezometers to support and monitor soil consolidation.
Mission Bay School Shovel Ready Ceremony
On October 27, SFUSD joined with the Mission Bay community and civic partners to commemorate the start of construction of Mission Bay School! The project has been envisioned for over two decades and has received broad support from the community and City.
Mission Bay School
Mission Bay School - Project Information
San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) is developing a new Mission Bay School, located in the burgeoning Mission Bay neighborhood. Concurrent with an existing legal agreement between the San Francisco Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure and the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) to designate Mission Bay Parcel 14 as a new school site, the SFUSD Board of Education tasked the Superintendent to develop the project using a robust process involving school and community stakeholders. Mission Bay School is being delivered by the 2016 Proposition A Bond program.
The school program, as defined by the District, consists of:
- A TK - 5 Elementary School, plus a pre-kinder program with access to high-quality teaching and learning.
- A Linked Learning Hub for high school students where they are offered unique opportunities to connect their learning with career experiences and workforce readiness.
- A Professional Learning resource for teachers and staff to receive training in support of ever-changing methods of teaching and ways to engage students.
|Bridging Architect:||Multistudio, Inc.|
|Design Build Partners:||McCarthy + DLR Group|
|Design Build Contract Value:||$ 95,391,176|
The development of specific programming concepts for Mission Bay School began several years ago through SFUSD’s leadership teams for Instruction, Policy and Operations, School Portfolio Planning, and Special Projects. This journey has engaged a broad and diverse range of District stakeholders, teachers, staff, students, families and community members.
These concepts have guided project development through design, creating a solution that is specific to the needs of Mission Bay School, while providing a path for this project to be a beacon for the District.
Basic Project Information
- Property is approximately 2.5 acres
- Proposed building is approximately 79,000 square feet
- The four-story classroom wing steps down to a single story multi-purpose room framing the school yard and gardens
- Targeted opening is the 2025-2026 academic year
SFUSD has completed an Environmental Impact Report for this project, as required by the California Environmental Quality Act. Documents are posted here for public review and administrative record.
- Notice of Preparation of an Environmental Impact Report
- Draft Environmental Impact Report
- Draft Environmental Impact Report Appendices
- Notice of Public Hearing and Availability of a Draft Environmental Impact Report
- Final Environmental Impact Report w/ Appendices
- Notice of Determination
The project is also subject to DTSC's soils remediation regulations. Documents and links are posted here for public review and proposed actions.
Mission Bay School Press Releases
Mission Bay School Board of Education Approvals, June 2022
Mission Bay School Shovel Ready Ceremony, October 2022
Mission Bay School - Construction Live Feed
This page was last updated on March 1, 2023