Can You Pass A School Bus In California?
Please adhere to the current California school bus safety laws. California Vehicle Code 22454 (a) VC says drivers cannot pass stopped school buses displaying flashing red signals, indicating that the bus is loading or unloading children. Motorists who are approaching the school bus on the opposite side of a divided or multiple-lane highway are not required to stop. This is the only exception! When you see flashing red lights activated on a school bus, prepare to STOP! Violators will be fined.
California Vehicle Code (CVC) 22454
There are five important points to know about this code section.
- VC 22454 (a) applies to both motorists following a school bus and drivers approaching a school bus from the opposite direction on a two-lane road.
- A driver that violates Vehicle Code 22454 (a) must pay a fine of up to $1000.00.
- A driver that passes a stopped school bus with flashing red signals will also receive one point on his California State driving record. A driver could get a negligent operator license suspension if he receives a certain number of points in a given time period (e.g., 4 points in 12 months, 6 points in 24 months or 8 points in 36 months).
- Drivers must not ignore, or even forget about, tickets for violating Vehicle Code 22454 (a) VC. If a driver ignores or forgets a traffic ticket in California, he may get charged with failure to appear, per California Vehicle Code 40508. Failure to appear, under California law, may be charged as a misdemeanor.
Safe and Reliable Transportation To and From School
SFUSD, in partnership with transportation provider Zum Services Inc., provides safe and reliable transportation to and from school.
The Transportation Team supports the educational day by providing:
- Curb to curb transportation for students with IEP's
- General Education busing with limited established routes
- Site support for planning and scheduling of Field Trips
- Transportation bus service for paid, athletic, and art program trips
Who to contact?
If the bus is late, never arrives, or if your child won't be riding the bus, please use the Zum family app to communicate or live-track ride status and request ride cancellation. You can also contact the Zum Support Team via phone at 855-743-3986.
All other transportation support questions: SFUSD Transportation team @ (415-695-5505) or Transportation@sfusd.edu
SFUSD Transportation Department
The Transportation Department, although not in the classroom, is a strong supporter of SFUSD's Mission: Every day we provide each and every student the quality instruction and equitable support required to thrive in the 21st century.
SFUSD Transportation Mission: Transportation’s mission is to provide safe, efficient, and on-time transportation services that support equitable access to educational opportunities for our students.
SFUSD Transportation Vision Statement: SFUSD’s students and families experience the Transportation Department as one that is student-centered and responsive in providing eco-friendly transportation options that are prompt, reliable, and affordable.
District Staff: For information about how to request field trip transportation, visit the Field Trips section on the Manage Classrooms page of this website (requires login).
- SFUSD Transportation Support hours: 6:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailing address: 1000 Selby Street, San Francisco, CA 94124
- Phone: (415) 695-5505
School Start and End Times for 2022-23
Please visit School Start and End Times for 2022-23 page for more information.
Adjusted Schedules to support Parent-Teacher Conferences
All elementary and middle school buses will have early dismissal during the weeks of November 14-18, 2022, and March 6-10, 2023, to support Parent-Teacher Conferences. The early dismissal will be based on the Wednesday schedule.
If, for example, a school has a 12:50 pm dismissal time on Wednesdays, during parent conference week the dismissal for Monday through Friday will be 12:50 pm. All buses, GenEd and IEP, will adhere to the revised schedule for Parent-Teacher Conference week.
The following services will be canceled during the weeks of Parent-Teacher Conferences to accommodate this change in the bell schedule.
Elementary & middle school early releases
Elementary, middle, and high school Therapy services after 12:00 pm
All field trips using Zum buses
Download the Parent-Teacher Conferences flier here.
This page was last updated on January 3, 2023