About Wait Pools
What is a Wait Pool?
A wait pool is an application period for students to enroll for 2022-2023. Students submit a Wait Pool application for ONE school only. The application deadline is August 10, 2022.
Once all applications are received, SFUSD conducts an assignment run to assign students to any open seats. Wait Pool requests are not assigned on a first-come, first-served basis; all applications must be submitted by August 10 and will be processed at the same time. Applications are assigned based on SFUSD's student assignment policy.
Even though the Wait Pool period for school year 2022-2023 runs through August 10, we strongly suggest that families submit a Wait Pool application by July 18.
When do I find out if I received my Wait Pool school?
SFUSD will contact (by email or phone) families starting on August 15, 2022 through September 2, 2022 if they have received their Wait Pool school. SFUSD will contact multiple times until we have reached the applicant. Please wait for staff to contact you -- we may not be able to answer questions about the Wait Pool because we will be busy contacting families. If you do not receive an email or phone call during that time period, that means you did not receive your Wait Pool school.
How do I apply for Wait Pool?
Applicants need to submit a completed application by August 10, 2022 at 5 p.m. Pacific Time either online, by email, or in a drop-off box.
If this is your first time applying for 2022-2023:
- Complete the SFUSD online application or the paper TK-13 General Application and include all required documents.
- Submit your completed application and required documents by the deadline online, by email, or in a drop-off box.
If you have already participated in Main Round and/or Round 2 for 2022-2023:
- Complete the Wait Pool Application either via the online application or on paper: English | 中文 | Español | Tiếng Việt | Tagalog | العربي | Gagana Sāmoa (coming soon). You can also pick up a paper application at our 555 Franklin Street office.
- Submit your application by the deadline online, by email, or in a drop-off box.
Ways to submit:
- Online: Use your ParentVUE account (select the "online forms" tab) OR the Online Forms Portal.
- Email: Email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are sending a scan or photograph of your documents, please make sure your images are clear and legible to avoid any delays.
- Drop Off: Drop off your documents at one of the following locations:
- Educational Placement Center. See office locations and hours.
- After business hours, drop off your application in a secure dropbox at the SFUSD Office lobby at 555 Franklin Street (just inside the front door).
Who is eligible to apply for the Wait Pool?
- Any student may choose to take part in SFUSD's wait pool process, even those who applied for Main Round, Round 2, New-to-SF Enrollment or Open Enrollment.
- However, if you submitted a Round 2 application, please wait to see your Round 2 assignment before applying for the Wait Pool.
- Once you have received a wait pool assignment, you are no longer eligible to participate in a wait pool for another school.
Why should I apply by July 18?
After July 18, Open Enrollment begins, and any school/grade/program with a Wait Pool request will not be available for Open Enrollment.
How will I know which schools have a Wait Pool?
The list of schools with active Wait Pool requests will be posted here before Open Enrollment begins in July 2022. Schools with Wait Pool requests are generally not available during Open Enrollment.
Lists will be posted here on these dates:
- Friday, July 1, 2022
- Friday, July 15, 2022
- Friday, August 5, 2022
- Friday, August 12, 2022
How do I cancel or change my Wait Pool request?
If you no longer want your wait pool request or need to change it, please email email@example.com as soon as possible. Please remember that once you have received your wait pool assignment, you are no longer eligible to participate in a wait pool for another school.
This page was last updated on June 6, 2022