Frequently Asked Questions

Main Round School Year 2023-2024

In this section, you will find frequently asked questions regarding viewing, accepting, or declining school assignments.

How do I view my school assignment?

  • You can view your school assignment online through ParentVUE starting March 20, 2023.    
  • You will also be mailed a school assignment letter starting March 20, 2023 via USPS mail.

How do I accept or decline my assignment?

What is the deadline to accept or decline?

  • The deadline to accept your assignment is April 7, 2023 at 11:59 PM.
  • If you wish to decline, we ask that you do it by April 7, 2023, but you can decline any time before the first day of school.

What if I didn't receive a letter in the mail?

  • Your ParentVUE account has your student’s assignment letter uploaded in the “Documents” tab. For help accessing your ParentVUE account, call 415-340-1716.
  • Please call (415) 241-6085, or email for support.

How do I access ParentVUE?

  • ParentVUE can be accessed through this link. You can learn more about ParentVUE here.
  • Help Videos: HERE

Will families receive a confirmation email after accepting or declining?

If you use ParentVUE, yes, you will receive a confirmation email as soon as you accept or decline your assignment.

How do I know if I correctly accepted my school assignment in ParentVUE?

  • First, follow the steps on how to register in ParentVUE at:  
  • After accepting or declining your assignment, you can click on “Status” to see if it was submitted. 
  • You can also check at any time by logging in to ParentVUE > Online Forms and clicking “Review”.

When will I receive the school assignment for my inter-district student?

Your inter-district application will be processed in late-June. You will receive a school assignment letter in the mail.

What if I need more help to accept or decline my assignment?

Call the Education Placement Center at (415) 241-6085 for assistance.

I’m not sure whether I should accept or decline. What should I do?

If you plan to attend any SFUSD school in 2023-24, we strongly suggest that you accept your Main Round assignment. If you decline your student’s assignment, they will not have a school for next year unless you are assigned to a different school in Round 2.

There is no strategic advantage to declining your student’s assignment. It will not change their likelihood of getting assigned to a higher-ranked choice in future application rounds.

If you prefer another school, you can apply in Round 2 after accepting your Main Round assignment: 

  • You DO NOT need to decline your Main Round assignment to apply in Round 2
  • If you do not get assigned to a school in Round 2, you can still keep your Main Round assignment as long as you accepted your Main Round assignment

If you need to learn more about your student’s assigned schools, start by visiting their website. You can attempt to sign up for a school tour by visiting or contacting the school directly.

What if there is a different SFUSD school that I’d prefer my student get into for next year?

You can submit a Round 2 application before the April 21 deadline at 11:59 PM. If your student is assigned to a school listed on their Round 2 application, that assignment would automatically replace their current assignment for next year. 

Families who cannot attend their assigned school due to unique hardships such as medical or family situations may file for a Medical or Hardship Appeal. Appeals are considered only for cases where the student’s needs cannot be met at the assigned school.

Round 2

In this section, you will find frequently asked questions regarding applying to Round 2. 

Who can apply in Round 2?

Any family can apply for Round 2, regardless of whether they applied in the Main Round and regardless of whether they currently have a school assignment for next year.

However, if you submitted a Main Round application, please wait until you receive your Main Round assignment before applying for Round 2.

What schools are available in Round 2?

Any schools that have open seats after the Main Round are available in Round 2. Generally, this means that there are fewer school choices available in Round 2. 

That is why we strongly recommend that families who applied in the Main Round accept their Main Round school assignment: you may not get the school you want in Round 2. 

IMPORTANT: Please note that if you apply for Round 2 and get a school assignment, your Main Round assignment will be automatically canceled. 

If you would like to keep your Main Round assignment, you will need to cancel your Round 2 application by Friday, April 21 at 4:30 p.m. PT. 


When can I apply?

Applications and instructions are now available at Applications and Forms

The deadline to submit is April 21, 2023 at 4:30 p.m. PT to the Educational Placement Center; April 21, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PT if submitting the application online via ParentVUE. 

IMPORTANT: If this is your first time applying, please submit all required documents. If you have already submitted your required documents in the Main Round, you do not need to submit them again.

General Enrollment

In this section, you will find some of the most frequently asked questions regarding EPC services; submitting forms to EPC.

Is the Educational Placement Center Open?

Yes, we are open from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

To contact us, please visit our Contact Us page.

I am new to SFUSD. How do I enroll my child for school?

  • Families can apply for schools using our Online Forms Portal. You can also call 415-241-6085 to talk to an enrollment counselor. Our team will guide you through the process.
  • If you need a paper application, please download the form from our Applications and Forms page.

How do I submit my forms to the Educational Placement Center?

Families can submit forms to the EPC by email or drop off. Please see How to Submit Forms and Applications.

Examples of forms to submit are:

  • Enrollment Application
  • Interdistrict Permit Request
  • Change of Address
  • Affidavit of Residence and Birthdate

How do I change my address, phone number, name, or other information?

You can change your:

  • Home Address, 
  • Student Name or Parent/Guardian Name, 
  • Race/Ethnicity, or
  • Phone Numbers

by completing this online Change of Information Form. You can also download the form from our Applications and Forms page and mail it with required proof. Any changes made to your address requires proof. Please see here for a list of acceptable proofs of home address.

How do I update my contact information in Family Portal (ParentVUE)?

Updating your contact information in Family Portal (ParentVUE) ensures that you get school phone, email and text notifications; it's also a way to view, accept, and decline your school assignment. 

Please see this page on how to update your information in Family Portal (ParentVUE).

You can also watch a video on how to update your information. The videos is available in EnglishEspanol中文.

If you need more help, call us at 415-241-6085 or email

This page was last updated on March 24, 2023