4.8 Work Permits

Work Permits

Students ages 14 through 17 are required by law to possess a Work Permit in order to be employed. 

Work Permits for SFUSD students are processed at the school site or at the SFUSD Transcript Office. To apply for a work permit check with your school registrar for the paperwork/application, or go to the SFUSD Transcripts, Student Records & Work Permits website at sfusd.edu/records, and click on the Work Permit section for more information. 

To complete an application students need the following information:

  • Students must have an identification card
  • Enter the first and last name exactly as it appears on your social security card
  • Social Security number
  • Proof of enrollment and grades (copy of latest report card including attendance).

Persons 18 years of age, who have graduated from high school, or who have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination do not need Work Permits. 

Also, a student shall not be required to obtain a work permit if they are self-employed; is working at odd jobs such as yard work and babysitting in private homes where they are not regularly employed; is a self-employed news carrier delivering newspapers to consumers on a regular route; is employed by their parent/guardian in domestic labor on or in connection with premises the parent/guardian owns, operates, or controls; or is otherwise exempted by law.

Please note:  Per Board Policy 5113.2, students must demonstrate satisfactory school attendance and maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) for a work permit during the academic year, but do not need to meet the GPA criteria to obtain a permit to work over the summer. Exemptions to the GPA or attendance requirements can be made by the principal when determined to be in the best interest of a student.

Information on federal and state labor laws for young workers is available online at:


This page was last updated on August 17, 2023