Counseling, Psychological and Social Services
Counseling and Support Groups
SFUSD School Social Workers, School Nurses, and Wellness Programs provide counseling and student support groups for children and youth who are experiencing depression, anxiety, grief, or other risk factors for violence and/or substance use.
School Social Workers (SSWs) (Elementary and Middle Schools)
In partnership with students and families, School Social Workers address barriers to student success and enhance the social and emotional growth of students. School Social Workers prioritize supports to vulnerable student populations including: foster youth, families and youth in transition, LGBTQ youth, newcomer students, and other underserved populations.
Core Supports provided by School Social Workers at all SFUSD Elementary and Middle Schools include:
- Coordination and facilitation of the Student Assistance Program (SAP)
- Teacher consultation for positive classroom climate and student support
- Individual short-term goal-orientated mental health and behavioral supports
- Small group counseling utilizing evidence based practices
- School-focused case management for individual students and families
- Individual and school-wide crisis response
Professional School Counselors
School Counselors are employed in elementary, middle and high school settings. School Counselors assist students to be successful academically, vocationally, and personally.
They are specialists in human behavior and relationships who provide assistance to students through counseling (individual and group); large group guidance; consultation; and coordination.
Elementary Advisors (Elementary Schools)
Elementary Advisors are assigned to targeted schools sites to support attendance issues and overall student/caregiver success.
Collaborative Student Support Teams
For students with academic, behavior, attendance, or health concerns, three collaborative teams work at every SFUSD school to provide early identification, referrals, and follow-up.
- Student Success Team (SST): The Student Success Team (SST) is a problem solving and coordinating structure that assists students, families and teachers to seek positive solutions for maximizing student potential. The SST focuses in-depth on one student at a time, and invites the parent and student to participate in finding solutions.
- Student Assistance Program (SAP): The Student Assistance Program (SAP) is a site based learning
- support team that brings together all support service
- Student Attendance Review Team (SART): Services for truant students and their families may include on-site counseling services, adult mentors, truancy workshops, and referrals to appropriate support agencies.
Emergency/Crisis Response Team
SFUSD helps every school form a team ready to respond to emergencies and crises. SFUSD Student, Family andCommunity Support Division provides team manuals and annual training, plus support as needed when responding to on-site crises.