4.8 Work Permits

Work Permits

Students ages 14 through 17 are required by law to possess a Work Permit in order to be employed. 

Work Permits for SFUSD students are processed using an online system, Informed K12. To apply for a work permit go to the SFUSD Transcripts, Student Records  & Work Permits website at sfusd.edu/records, click on the Work Permit section and click the link to start the application. 


To complete the online applications students need the following information:

  • For identity purposes, students must use their SFUSD student email address
  • Students will need to input different email address for the parent/guardian AND the supervisor/employer- applications will not be processed without this information
  • Enter the first and last name exactly as it appears on your social security card
  • Social Security number
  • Proof of enrollment and grades (copy of latest report card including attendance)

For individual applications, please allow 2-3 days to process.  For large groups or organization applications, please allow 2 weeks to process.

Persons 18 years of age, who have graduated from high school, or who have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination do not need Work Permits. 

Also, a student shall not be required to obtain a work permit if they are self-employed; is working at odd jobs such as yard work and babysitting in private homes where they are not regularly employed; is a self-employed news carrier delivering newspapers to consumers on a regular route; is employed by their parent/guardian in domestic labor on or in connection with premises the parent/guardian owns, operates, or controls; or is otherwise exempted by law.

Please note:  Per Board Policy 5113.2, students must demonstrate satisfactory school attendance and maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) for a work permit during the academic year, but do not need to meet the GPA criteria to obtain a permit to work over the summer. Exemptions to the GPA or attendance requirements can be made by the principal when determined to be in the best interest of a student.

Information on federal and state labor laws for young workers is available online at:


This page was last updated on August 14, 2021