Enrollment of Student Expelled From Other School Districts
Students who have been expelled for offenses described in 48915(a) or 48915(c) will not be permitted to enroll in any other school or school district during the term of the expulsion, unless it is a county community school, juvenile court school, or community day school. Offenses under CA Education Code 48915a & 48915c are:
- Causing serious physical injury to another person, except in self-defense.
- Possession of any knife, explosive, or other dangerous object of no reasonable use to the student.
- Unlawful possession of any controlled substance except the first offense possession of less than one ounce of marijuana or an over the counter medication used by the student for medical purposes or prescribed for the student by a physician.
- Robbery or extortion.
- Assault or Battery upon any school employee.
- Possessing, selling, or otherwise furnishing a firearm.
- Brandishing a knife at another person.
- Unlawfully selling a controlled substance.
- Committing or attempted to commit a sexual assault.
- Possession of an explosive.
Students expelled from another district for any other reason who are seeking enrollment in SFUSD will be referred to the Office of Pupil Services. Parents will need to provide the SFUSD Office of Pupil Services with documentation of the specifics of the circumstances leading to the expulsion. An SFUSD Administrative panel within the Office of Pupil Services will hold a hearing to determine whether the student poses a continuing danger to either the students or employees of the school district.
The parent/guardian or emancipated student must inform the receiving district of their expulsion status upon enrollment. Lack of compliance with this requirement shall be considered in the hearing to determine whether the student poses a continuing danger. (CA Education Code 48915.1(b))
This page was last updated on October 28, 2020